Untersturmführer Gerhard Mahn, commander of 11th company, 9th regiment “Germania” of the 5th SS Panzer Division “Wiking” directs the actions of the division of armored personnel carriers Sd.Kfz.251. They are about to mount an attack against the Red Army during the battles east of Warsaw in the summer of 1944
In the breakout from the Normady beachhead on the road to Perriers, two US GI’s take cover behind dead cows. In an exposed position like a road, any cover can be the difference between life and death.
|M10 in action near Saint-Lô, June 1944|
US combined arms doctrine on the eve of World War II held that tanks should be designed to fulfill the role of supporting infantry in forcing a breakthrough, and then exploiting the breakthrough to rush into the enemy’s vulnerable rear areas.
The anti-tank warfare mission was assigned to a new branch, the Tank Destroyer Force. Tank destroyer units were meant to counter German blitzkrieg tactics.
Tank destroyer units were to be held as a reserve at the corps or army level, and were to move quickly to the site of any massed enemy tank breakthrough, maneuvering aggressively and using ambush tactics to destroy enemy tanks.
Sergeant M. Katasonov scout 372nd Infantry Division, wielding a PPSh-41 sub-machine gun – one of the approximately 1.5 million produced by the Soviet Union during WWII.
During World War II, Paderborn was bombed by Allied aircraft in 1944 and 1945, resulting in 85% destruction, including many of the historic buildings. It was seized by the US 3rd Armored Division after a pitched battle 31 March – 1 April 1945, in which tanks and flamethrowers were used during combined mechanized-infantry assaults against the city’s southwestern, southern and southeastern approaches