SS Totenkopf MG34 crew w/ full head camo – Battle of Kursk -Summer 1943

SS Totenkopf MG34 crew w/ full head camo – Battle of Kursk -Summer 1943

Often mis-labelled as “sniper’s veils”, this full face camouflage face mask is worn by a Waffen SS MG-34 team at the battle of Kursk – Totenkopf was deployed around Prokhorovka.

The Waffen SS and Wehrmacht used camouflage more than any other armed forces in the second world war.

Panzergrenadiers about to commence an attack – Eastern Front 1944

Panzergrenadiers about to commence an attack – Eastern Front 1944

Untersturmführer Gerhard Mahn, commander of 11th company, 9th regiment “Germania” of the 5th SS Panzer Division “Wiking” directs the actions of the division of armored personnel carriers Sd.Kfz.251.   They are about to mount an attack against the Red Army during the battles east of Warsaw in the summer of 1944

A Russian Scout – 1944

A Russian Scout – 1944

Sergeant M. Katasonov scout 372nd Infantry Division, wielding a PPSh-41 sub-machine gun – one of the approximately 1.5 million produced by the Soviet Union during WWII.

The PPSh-41 is a classic example of a design adapted for mass production (other examples of such wartime design are the M3 submachine gun, MP40, PPS, and the Sten). Aside from the barrel, its parts could be made by a relatively unskilled workforce with simple equipment available in an auto repair garage or tin shop, freeing more skilled workers for other tasks. The PPSh-41 uses 87 components and could be manufactured with an estimated 7.3 machining hours.
Barrel production was often simplified by using barrels for the 7.62mm M1891 Mosin–Nagant rifle, cut in half and two PPSh barrels were made from it after machining the chamber for the 7.62mm Soviet submachine gun cartridge.